Check out Tory Power’s overview of the jacket on our YouTube channel, or see the video below.
The Karakorum is Red Fox’s ultra warm baffled down jacket, made for mountaineering in extremely cold, high alpine conditions. It has trim-cut lower sleeves/cuffs and a helmet-compatible snorkel hood with a two-way adjustment. The height of the down chambers is narrower in this puffy, compared to the chamber height in Red Fox’s Pro Line, subsequently enhancing compressibility and lightening the weight. Red Fox uses a special baffled chamber construction with vertical divisions that prevent the 650+ fill power goosedown from shifting. The baffled construction means that little to no heat escapes because there are no seams sewn through the outer materials. Seams are sewn in the inside, ensuring they won’t snag or tear. This is one of the warmest puffy jackets on the market.
Besides being toasty warm, the most noticeable feature is how easy all the zippers and drawcords are to operate, even with bulky mittens. Most jackets require bare finger dexterity to operate zippers; not on the Red Fox Karakorum.
Additional features of this jacket include:
- Reinforced shoulders, elbows, and lower sleeves
- All exterior zippers use “easy-running toothed zippers”
- Articulated sleeves for unrestricted arm motion
- Internal draft tube and external storm panel over main zipper
- Glove-friendly zipper pulls
- Elastic sleeve cuffs with a thumb loop
- Single-pull drawcorded hem
- D-rings on the lower sleeves for “belaying” gloves
- Two pack-friendly side pockets with protective storm panels
- Two large, mesh, cargo-bay interior pockets
- Two zippered interior chest pockets